Sunday 13 April 2014

Fun ways to get the kids to clean up this Holiday

Hmmm, Easter holidays are here again and if you are like me wondering what to do with kids this holiday, engaging them in house chores won't be a bad idea. Apart from watching TV and going out we should be able to engage them in other useful activities, which will pay off in the future. Kids from three years should be encouraged. Even if you have helps, a little chore won't kill. ( That is my opinion)




I want to teach my kids how to take care of their things and a big part of this is helping them make a habit of cleaning up. Although the rule in our house is that you have to put one thing away before you take out another, we end up with tornado rooms once in a while. Here are a few ways I try to make clean-up less painful for everyone.

1. Make light of the situation. Speaking with an easy, upbeat tone can set the mood for the whole process. Rather than, "Oh my goodness, look at this terrible mess!  Or who did this? Or where is my cane? A cheery  "Oh, wow!  I think our house is a big mess and no one will want to visit us" will make them say they want their friends around. Or for my three year old once you say you won't be my friend again for making a mess.  My kids will immediately say they will tidy up.

2. Work on the mess together. Rather than making declarations about what needs to be done, get in there and clean up with them. Use it as a (non-lecturing) learning opportunity: "I want to help you. I didn't make the mess, but I love you and I want to help you." I always tell my kids that "We are a family. We help each other." Cleaning up together this way is an excellent way to model helpful, pitching-in behavior while also subtly reinforcing the notion that mommy or daddy are not the servants.



3. Sing a song. Or at least put some music on. Not only will it energize everyone cleaning up, but it will also help lighten the mood and contribute to the fun.

Making a difficult task just a little more ENJOYABLE helps us get it done — and this life skill, even beyond keeping a tidy space, is certainly something worth passing along.
Older kids can help with washing dishes, washing their socks or underwear. The chores should be commensurate with the child’s age.
So let’s do the kids a big favor and encourage them to help out this holiday.
Please let me know what your opinions are. Have a great week ahead.


2 comments:

  1. Very good and useful tips as usual. Please any suggestions on how to spice up the parents room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. To revamp a masters bedroom you can add color like painting, adding accessories, wall art, wallpaper etc. Whatever, you fancy.However will write a post on it.

    ReplyDelete